Re: BPS Formula?

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "tmoore by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<tmoore-at-erie-dot-net>

>Hello all,
>

>    I have been messing around with excel and trying to figure out new
>things. So I am wondering if I got this right for a static spark gap, Joules

snipperzzz..

Hi Nolan...

If the world of spark gaps was so easy your formlas would work ....
 but...  there are complex factors going on between those pieces of
metal...  once a gap has been arced, ionized gasses create an even lower
resistive path so the voltage level of the gap drops drastically ( it
would take 1/4 the original voltage to jump the gap when the air in the
gap has been ionized). Also, besides ionized gas, there is microscopic
bits of metal flying around too which adds to the conductivity factor.
With a Static gap, the BPS will be pretty much eratic ( unless an
inductor is used , but that would defeat the hi Hz needed for the
secondary) and voltage dependent.

RSG's also suffer from the effects of Murphy...   they will pre-arc,
post-arc, sometimes an inch before and after the expected line up point,
thus changing the dwell time excessively.

Scot D