Re: New Inductance Formula

Original poster: "Shaun Epp by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <scepp-at-mts-dot-net>

Hey dave,

Yup, way off.  The reason is that is the equation L = N^2*u*A/l  is for a
long solenoid, where length is 10x or more larger that radius, your example
was for a short fat coil, there are equation specially for this, but I can't
find them right now.  I tried both equation, this one and wheelers for a
solenoid using my tesla secondary as an example.

r = 2.125 "
l =  22 "
N = 1400 turns
convert valued to metric for the non wheeler equation and I get:

L = 40.3 mH from the above equation and,

L = 37.01mH from wheelers equation,  and the same from my metric version.

I see you included units again,  I think that Webers/amp is a much more
meaningful unit for electrical/magnetic  measurements that the base units
that you have been using.

All the best,

Shaun Epp,  goin' for another round 8 - )