RE: magnetically quenched gaps

Original poster: "David Kyle by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-kyleusa-dot-com>

I am very intrigued by the concept of a magnetically quenched spark gap
and I am curious on what basis they operate. Can anyone explain the
principle as to how they aid the quenching of a static gap of an AC
driven Tesla coil?

Has anyone successfully demonstrated a magnetically quenched gap with a
measurable difference with and without the magnetic field?

Can the magnetic field be stationary using permanent magnets?

What is the most effective geometry to place the magnets?

How strong must the field be?

Would there be benefit in using a powerful electromagnet operating in
sync with the primary supply?

Dave Kyle
Austin, TX USA