Re: magnetically quenched gaps

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "rheidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-zialink-dot-com>

> edmond scientific carries a large assortment of rair earth magnets, but old
> speakers are a much better price. Magnitron magnets are small not 100 mm.
>    Robert  H

	In my experience Edmund is the very highest possible priced outfit
around, particularly for magnets.  Try wondermagnets or All
Electronics.  The old magnetron magnets were indeed almost 100 mm
diameter, but the newer ones are much smaller.  Remember, you have to
work over quite a large air gap so you'll need an efficient magnetic
circuit and a number of magnets in series to get enough of a field
across the gap.  The old arc transmitters used giant electromagnets for
the purpose, and ran at field strengths of as much as 5000 gauss!

Ed