Re: Capacitor network

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "Calvin Patrick by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <linhacktux-at-wycol-dot-com>

>Ok, having given up on (for the moment, my home built cap., I'm now
>searching for a bunch of caps.  Does anyone have a sugestion for a good
>place to find a lot of caps cheap, or a few HV caps cheap?  As this is a
>modification of an existing design, I'm shooting for about .03uf in the
>capacitors, as this was the aprox. capacitance of the home built cap.  I'm
>using a 15000v neon transformer, so 20000v is nore on target.  Also, will I
>need any current limiting on the transformer?  THanks for any help...
>
>Calvin Patrick

Hi Calvin...

Since you are using a NST,  current limiting will not be absolutely
necsasary ( i luv mis spelling words) , ... voltage control might be fun
tho ( variac) ...

go ahead and bite the bullet and spend the money on a MMC from the Geek
Group ( they have the best prices and best quality caps for the purpose)

take the advise from someone who HAS built home-made caps and spent a
LARGE fortune on them only to rebuild and rebuild them time after time (
actually many many times but then again I did this before MMC's were
popular. )  I finally got tired of rebuilding caps so I spent a small
fortune on Maxwell Caps ( and yes I'm quite satisfied with them at the
moment... even tho they have a limited lifetime in T coiling
applications)  they are working fantastically.

you can fudge on most any other part of a T coil but the caps,...  thats
the part you need to pay special attention to. Spend the money on them
...  consider it an ivestment in the longevity of your coil...

Scot D
aka      Bunnykiller