Re: magnets in HDs

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Peter Lawrence by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Peter.Lawrence-at-Sun-dot-com>

> 0riginal bar magnet:
>         +----------------------------------+
>         | North                      South |
>         +----------------------------------+
>
> broken bar magent:
>         +-----------------+  +-----------------+
>         | North     South |  | North     South |
>         +-----------------+  +-----------------+
>
> please say again how the two new ends are going to _REPEL_ ??????
>
> -Peter Lawrence.

	I think this discussion got started as a discussion of NIB magnets and
what happens if they are broken.  Most of the ones I have are magnetized
through the thin dimension , so if you break one you can't expect them
to cling together as they were before, since like poles are facing each
other.  Instead, they hope "one on top of the other", in agreement with
the drawing except that the long dimension should be vertical, but poles
as shown.  (Sounds kinda obscure said that way!)  Analagous to taking
the bar magnet above and splitting it longitudinally.  Like poles would
line up and the two pieces would repell.

	Not sure those words cleared up the matter, but the right answer must
be hidden in there somewhere. Maybe the following picture will be
clearer.  Notice N facing N and S facing S before and after break.

BEFORE BREAK

 AFTER BREAK
	xxxxx
	xxxxx

Ed

Magnets are fun, especially super magnets!