Re: solder

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"

><gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

> Hello All
> Can plumbing solder be used to make electrical connections

	Yes, BUT, it is better to use electrical solder.

> or is electrical grade really necessary.

	Electrical (mostly) comes with rosin flux embedded in it,
	making it easier to work with.

	ANY soldering needs some sort of flux.  Plumbing work
	(which i have done) usually uses an acid flux, either
	liquid or paste, which is brushed on.  Works, has some
	advantages but can also lead to corrosion.  Means
	messing with the flux in addition to the iron, the
	wires and the solder.

	Electrical/electronic work Almost Always is better with
	'rosin core' solder, with the flux, rosin, milder,
	embedded into the solder.  Since the flux is 'just there'
	its easier to work with.

	Flux:
	Any metal picks up corrosion, mild or major.
	One can sand it off, or use chemical cleaner (called
	flux) to 'etch' it off.  Fluxes come in a variety of
	types, depending on metal to be joined, etc.  Electronic
	Solder uses rosin flux, less aggressive, and less
	corrosive, than acid.  Working with solder without flux
	is VERY difficult.  (The term 'flux' is generic: welding
	uses a variety of fluxes, as does brazing, blah blah.
	One advantage of getting electrical/electronic (rosin
	core) solder is that its the best for that class of
	work.

	I can't think why a 'big roll' would be necessary.
	'two pounds' (typically: sold by the pound) should handle
	most any requirement....

	best
	dwp