commercial capacitors

Original poster: "Mr Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>

Hello list,

Firstly, does anyone know if maxwell still make HV caps? I can't find
any info on their page. I'm possibly interested in buying a commercial
cap or two. My new coil would need a huge MMC (over 100 GG caps, then
there's the soldering and stuff. This is a last resort.) I'm also
wondering how much stray inductance an MMC this large would have. I
would like to compare the cost of an MMC to a new commercial unit. I
would like to get a quote from plastic capacitors, but I really don't
know exactly what specs to ask for (the question sheet is very daunting
- RMS current, peak current, voltage reversals, frequency, blah blah
blah). I have heard that condenser products still make Tesla capacitors,
but they do not sell to the general public. Does anyone know a way
around this? I would like a 0.15uF cap. Voltage is currently 11.5kV RMS,
but I would like a significant safety margin, and will later hopefully
be using nearly 20kV RMS.

On a lighter note, the 10kW coil is progressing very well. The primary
and secondary are completed. The primary is 15 turns 1/2" Cu pipe.
Secondary is 1000 turns, 0.95mm wire close wound on 12" form. Sync
rotary gap is to be finished today. Power cabinet is finished, with a
continuous rating of 60 amps. I've started collecting HD magnets to
investigate magnetic gaps.

Cheers,

Greg Peters
Department of Earth Sciences,