Re: preventing toroid-to-primary strikes, was oil dielectric

In a message dated 5/17/02 5:27:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> I have seen a strike rail in several pictures of TC's.
> Thanks for the advice on this. I noticed tuneing was mentioned
> as a way to prevent strikes. It would seem however that
> dielectric losses would be much less with oil.
> Paul
>
> Paul

,

I wasn't following this thread, but......
some ways to stop the streamers from arcing down from the
toroid and hitting the primary are:   use a larger overall diameter
toroid, use a smaller diameter primary, use a taller secondary,
avoid using an inverted cone type primary, put a smaller toroid
under the main toroid to raise the main toroid higher.  (this
last suggestion is one of the easiest to implement, and also
one of the most effective.

Cheers,
John