Re: uses for a Tesla Coil?

You are probably thinking of the work by Merle Tuve (among others) where
they built a 5MV(!) tesla coil which operated immersed in a pressurized oil
tank.

I suspect that when Robert Van deGraaff got his eponymous generators
refined, they pretty much overtook the tesla coil approach.  Nice steady DC
beats a weird not quite damped sinusoid waveform for nuclear science any day...

There are "resonance transformers" currently used in HV testing, but they
generally use a system resonant at the line frequency, or some small
multiple.  A BIG iron core inductor is used.  The advantage over, say, Marx
generator testing, is that you can measure steady state effects (partial
discharge, corona, etc.) at very high voltages.  If a flashover does occur
(and it will).. the series impedance of the inductor keeps the fault
current/energy fairly low so the Unit under test (UUT) doesn't get
destroyed. This kind of test is particularly useful for capacitive loads
(i.e. a transmission line or cable)