Re: uses for a Tesla Coil?

Original poster: "rob by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rob-at-pythonemproject-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Vanderputten, Gary by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gvp-at-pvaintl-dot-com>

> To those outside the coil community, I like to describe my coils as "high
> voltage sculpture". A little pretentious, perhaps, but like many coilers, I
> pay attention to form and aesthetics.
>
> I remember in the late 1950's when I submitted a coil in a science fair, I
> was questioned by one judge, a physicist, as to the value of such a device
> and its relevance in the fair (which was focused on the
> hysteric-post-Sputnik march toward applied sciences), I described it as a
> 'device used to demonstrate the effects of high voltage and high frequency
> electricity'. She was not impressed. 'Then it's just a clever toy, isn't
> it.", she replied. However, the other four judges were so wowed by its
> dramatic Frankensteinian display and noise and also by the fact that a
> scrawny pimply-faced 13 year old kid could built it on his own from
> apparently junk yard parts - I was awarded first place! To this day I have
> always felt that the first judge was correct and that there were other
> projects there more deserving of top honors. I also learned that in science
> fairs, showmanship counts.
>
> Beyond entertainment and the self-gratification they bring to the developer,
> I still know of no significant applications other than those 'plasma globes'
> and the clever Absolute Vodka beer displays in bars - they provide the
> technology for the lava lamps of the 1990's.
>
> Gary

Another story.  When I worked down in Silicon Valley, we had a trade
show.  Unfortunately, we had a new line of power semiconductor products,
but no working demos, just pictures.  My boss heard about my Tesla coil
and had me bring it to the show, to draw attention to the nonexistant
products.

We had quite a rivalry with the computer group at our company.  When the
coil fired up, it locked up their computers and they had to reboot,
which took a long time.  It was a big hit for everyone but the computer
guys.   And I will never forget one woman who walked by and exclaimed
"Look at that phallic thing!".

Rob.

--
The Numeric Python EM Project