Re: Secondary structure

Original poster: "Alexander Rice by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <alex-at-rices.myip-dot-org>

24/05/2002 15:21:07, "Tesla list"
<tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:

>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Dan_Gallagher%
PULSARNOTES-at-pulsartech-dot-com>

>Hi fellow sparkers,
>
>I want to make my secondary this weekend
but have a question.

>Can I use all-thread down the center of
the secondary to hold the plexiglas
>discs on the ends and to mount the toroid
onto the top? This will also make
>it easier to wind the wire on with all-
thread stubs sticking out each end.
>I can use those stubs to hold the
secondary in the lathe. But I'm wondering
>if I can leave the all-thread in during
operation of the TC.

i take it that by all thread you mean a
long threaded metal rod - in which case,
yes you can use it while building the
secondary to hold endcaps (which usually
go inside the tube by the way - for small
coils i never bother with endcaps and i
have not yet had a problem). What i did to
wind my coils was to make two stepped
wooden discs - one part which fits snugly
into the tube and one part that is too
big. Mounted the whole lot into a large
wood lathe with the drive belt slacked
RIGHT off so that i could stop it with my
pinkie and wound the whole 1200 turns in
about 3 mins.

i have also found that shellac is great
for varnishing coils as it dries very hard
very quickly and only needs a few (2-3)
coats - you have to be sure to brush along
the direction of the wire otherwise you
get a lot of tiny bubbles as the brush
runs over the wire. ie wire lies |||||
brush up and down.

You cannot leave the rod in during
operation as it will be a dead short and
you will not get any streamers.

regards

alex

>Thanks
>
>Dan
>Ft. Lauderdale

Alexander JJ Rice
Geek#-1232
Rank : G-2 (Wahey!)
http://www.TheGeekGroup-dot-org
"Because the Geek Shall Inherit the Earth
!"?