RE: Variable Capacitance and Inductance

Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

Hi Robert,

>It appears to me that your studies show a TC coil acting like the wave
formation found inside a waveguide. The peak voltage
points moving toward the ends (sides) and away from the ends (sides) as the
frequency shifts from and toward the ideal  dimensional (1/4 wave
equivelent) frequency to an extream point of high voltage point in the
center of a coil (wave guide).

I hadn't seen it that way.  But I believe you are correct.  The EMF expands
and contracts as a cylinder with the center of the solenoid the center of
the cylinder.  As the field contracts, the voltage increases and migrates to
the terminal of the solenoid.  As the field expands the current increases
and migrates to the ground of the coil.   If the field could be viewed
directly it would appear as a thin, tall cylinder when the voltage is high
and as a squat, wide field when the current is high.

>This concept would be very sensitive to the earth electro-static gradient
at the moment and elivation of the coil being tested. As some of us know the
earth electro-static gradient varies with weather and solar changes and are
not constant. The varience can be only a few volts per 10' to tens of volts
per 10' depending on atmospheric conditions and elivation at the moment.

This is a very interesting phenomenon.  I did not know about electrostatic
gradients until this message.  There is not much clear information on the
web about this gradient, so I'll have to do some more research.  Do you have
any references that will speed me along?  I see the possibility of a very
important discovery here related to near earth inductance and capacitance
variations.

Just now I did a quick test.  I took the same coil that I used last night
with the hair dryer experiment and instead of a hair dryer used an ion
generator.  The ion generator, as you know, creates a dense electrostatic
cloud near its discharge pins.  As the electrostatic charge changed, the
inductance changed.  If the electrostatic charge were allowed to remain
constantly directed at the coil, without moving it, the inductance would
stabilize at 4.57mH.  The slightest move of the electrostatic charge and the
inductance varied from 4.53mH to 4.60mH.  The effect was more pronounced
when the ionizer was held near the terminal and less pronounced when holding
it near the ground.

It would appear you are on to something, Robert.  The temperature does not
have anything to do with inductance variation.  It would appear that it is
the change in charge that accompanies the atmospheric temperature change
that varies the inductance.  Also, it is well known that the passage of the
Moon alters the Earth's electrostatic charge (the Moon's outer positive
charge and the Earth's outer positive charge repels each other.  On full
Moons and new Moons, when the Moon and Sun work together to "squash" the
Earth's electrostatic charge, there are greater variations in the Earth's
electrostatic field.)

Dave