Re: Regulating Coil

Original poster: "Mike Hollingsworth by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <megavolts61-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi Dave,
   I use a tuning(regulating, if you prefer) coil for
my largest TC.  It was actually more out of necessity
because my primary was about a half turn short of
being tunable.  My tuning coil is about the equivalent
inductance as the outer-most turn on my primary. The
benefits of using one are that you can get very
precise tuning easily and you eliminate the need for
any special routing of the leads.  There is likely a
bit of waste as far as the magnetic field that is not
coupled to the secondary although that might be
insignificant compared to spark gap losses.
Mike.