Re: Structrual support, was: oil dielectric

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Hi Paul,

Other than the base of secondaries used in VTTC and SSTC's and small
tertiary coils in high power magnifiers, disruptive tesla coil
secondaries don't develop very much heat. Any coil form you choose to
use should be strong enough to support the weight of the winding,
topload, and wind forces, have inherently high insulation resistance and
electrical breakdown strength, have relatively low RF loss, be
relatively impervious to moisture absorption, and be sufficiently
thermally stable to withstand expected temperature variations in storage
or operation. Further, the material should be readily available at low
cost. Thin wall PVC pipe satisfies virtually all of these conditions
admirably. While PVC can't handle high temperatures... but fortunately
it doesn't NEED to.

If you instead tried to use a metallic coil form, even if insulated by
some type of coating, the coilform will behave as a big short-circuited
turn, introducing huge system losses that are virtually independent of
the form's magnetic properties. Even slitting the pipe lengthwise to
break the "loop" doesn't help much, since you still develop significant
internal RF "eddy currents" within the form which sap large amounts of
energy from your system, converting it to heat instead of streamers. But
even if you were capable of developing significant voltage across the
secondary winding, the relatively thin insulation between the winding
and the conductive coil form would break down, short-circuiting the
secondary winding. PVC is cheap and it'll work for all but the most
stringent coiling applications.

Regarding shrunken coins - these are available from my web site or off
eBay:
http://www.teslamania-dot-com/
OR
http://cgi6.ebay-dot-com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewListedItems&userid=bert.hickma