c core transformers as ballasts?

Original poster: "Justin Wright by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <justin-at-tracesofnut-dot-com>

Hello All,

At a closing down sale recently, I bought a few C Core transformers.

My plan was to use rewind them for ballast use.

Are C Core suitable for this?  I saw a lot in the archives about EI
cores.

I have 3 of varying sizes 4 inch, 6 inch and about 8 inch high (measured
along the sides).  It looks like each has 8 c sections which are
strapped together to make 4 rings.  The 4 rings are stacked 2x2
arrangement and the winding go through the two holes.  They look are
quite old.

Here is a top view showing 2 of the rings.  The other two are
underneath.

       /--\/--\
       | w||w |
       | w||w |
       \--/\--/

Do the formulas for EI cores ballasts work for C core?  Will normal
enamel coated copper wire do (10G for example)?

If I wanted to I want to be able to limit my current to 10 amps, 20 amps
and perhaps 30 - 35 amps at 240v.

Did I get lucky or have I just bought some door stops.

Regards,

Justin.