Re: DC coil

Original poster: "robert heidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-desertgate-dot-com>

Just a short comment. I dont know how you wired your rectifier, but end to
end 1/2 wave is usualy twice the voltage of full wave and about the same as
bridge. Do you have a disconect choke between your rectifier and TC circuit?
I use 15T 1" x 6" air coil of #12 ga wire. This is only a few uH but it
disconects the rectifier when the SG fires.
   Robert  H

 > From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
 > Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 19:36:32 -0700
 > To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
 > Subject: DC coil
 >
 > Original poster: "charles rakes by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
 > <cdrakes-at-ipa-dot-net>
 >
 > Got a ?  I'm trying to get back into Tesla coil building, as I have a
 > little more time now, and throw together a simple DC coil using a
 > 15Kvolt  30ma NST with a full wave rectifier arrangement feeding the .02uf
 > tuning capacitor.  With the transformer's center tap a ground I figure I
 > was getting a little over 10k volts DC across the capacitor.  The coil
 > produces about 21 inch streamers with this set up.  So I figured if I
 > doubled the DC output voltage I  with a full wave bridge rectifier the
 > voltage would double.  Also the tuning should not change much,
 > right?  Anyway I put the circuit together and did increase the DC output
 > voltage, however the coil's output is only about 1/2-inch sparks no matter
 > how I try tuning it.  Am I missing something very simple.  Did revert back
 > to the full wave circuit and had good response again?  Any ideas?? Tx
Charles