Re: Electrostatic Meters - AC not possible

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Nick, Dan, Bert, and all,

Hmm... this is getting very interesting!  A true electrostatic (ES)
voltmeter measures the attractive force between two parallel plate
electrodes. And, as Bert Pool indicated, the mean value of the attractive
force between plates will be proportional to the DC voltage squared OR to
the AC RMS voltage squared (it is a "square law" type of meter):

    F = k*e*A*(V^2)/2*(S^2)
where:
    k = relative permittivity of the insulating medium
    e = vacuum permittivity
    A = Area of an electrode plate
    S = Gap space between plates
    V = Volts (DC or Vrms)

ES voltmeters will normally measure either DC or AC RMS voltages with equal
ease. This is covered in Bill Sarjeant's excellent "High Power Electronics"
book (as previously mentioned by Bert Pool) but also in Kuffel and Zaengl's
"High Voltage Engineering", Alston's "High Voltage Technology", Meek and
Craggs, "High Voltage Laboratory Technique", and numerous other
HV/measurement references. Unlike rectifier and peak AC meters, a typical
ES voltmeter can accurately measure AC RMS voltages without waveform errors
(after allowing for the capacitive loading introduced by the meter on the
voltage source), making them ideal for AC RMS, DC, or any combination of
superimposed AC RMS on DC below the peak rating of the meter.

The real question is why didn't Dan's ES voltmeter register the 4000 volt
AC source if it was constructed in the fashion of a classic ES voltmeter?
Apparently Sensitive Research must use a measurement approach that's
significantly different than a typical ES voltmeter. BTW, a Sensitive
Research (EIS) Model ESH ES Voltmeter (similar in appearance perhaps to the
model Dan used) IS rated for up to 100 KVAC (or 150 KVDC):
http://www.elecins-dot-com/%21EIS3A.HTM

Very interesting... :^)

Best regards,

-- Bert--