Directly coupled tesla magnifier

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Hi:

I have set up a page describing my directly coupled Tesla
magnifier, at:
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/mres6.html
There are pictures, waveforms (at low power), and
design formulas for optimal energy transfer. A computer
program that calculates values and plots waveforms (or the
ideal energy transfer) is also available.

A 6th-order structure (3 capacitors and 3 inductors) allows
faster energy transfer than a 4th-order system, and so the
losses are smaller and the performance is superior. The most
remarkable difference is the behavior of the spark gap, that
runs much cooler and regularly. The visible performance is
a bit better than in the 4th-order system with the same
input and output capacitances, with streamers coming from
everywhere in the terminal, forming even a kind of blue haze
around it (observed while it was raining. May be consequence of
the high humidity in the air).

The construction without a transformer is simple, with
the several components simply interconnected as convenient,
without need of critical positioning.

It's a relatively low-power system, with a 5000 V, 30 mA NST
charging a 5 nF primary capacitor.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz