Re: MOT power supply

Original poster: "Tim J by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <digital_raven45-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>There is a critical difference between the output voltage across a group
>of seriesed MOTs and the breakdown voltage of a single MOT. For example,
>with 6 in series,
>each MOT only sees a voltage drop of 2KV ACROSS IT  when the pack output
>is 12KV. At no time is the insulation of any one MOT subject to the full
>potential difference.
>
>Matt D.
Sure...thats right, the MOTs don't see 12kV+ running through them. I just
find it interesting that after so many people have built their successful
working 4 or 6 pack that we still have people out there claiming that these
supplies will flash over or fail over a period of time. I've had my 6 pack
now for a year, and have been abusing it too RF and large loads. I haven't
seen a change in the performance at all!
Just to see how far I could push these 'cheaply' made transformers, I built
an 8 pack last year. At first I had some flash over problems with one of
the transformers, but ater some modifications, I got the supply to work
under oil.