RE: Cadillac as coil ground for Halloween

Original poster: "Dave Hartwick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ddhartwick-at-earthlink-dot-net>

I must say, in my pathetic defense, that I assume a caddy would offer
substantial capacitive coupling to ground consistent with counterpoise
operation. I had also planned on fencing off the area around the caddy.

At, for example, circa 1 kVA levels, the caddy alone--ungrounded to
earth--may be satisfactory. At higher levels, the caveats expressed by you
and others are almost certainly valid.

I don't know that I'll ever escape the legacy of this nutty idea!
Dave H

Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<davep-at-quik-dot-com>

> In THEORY, the Cadillac CAN work, but not on it's own.
> A separate source of GROUND still needs to be attached
> to the vehicle frame.  Since this will cause the vehicle
> body to become a Faraday shield,

	The body is a shield (for stuff inside) whether
	grounded or not.

	The proposal WAS (i believe its been abandoned)
	to put the coil on the OUTSIDE.

	best
	dwp
	(who tuned up the Halloween coil last night.
	Thing is now so 'hot' I don't like picking the
	(stainless) candy bowl off the top by hand.
	(its a SMALL coil.  By group standards norms ...))

...the net of a million lies...
	Vernor Vinge
	-me