Re: Outrageous Amps from MOT's??

Original poster: "Winston Krutsch by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <u236-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Hi Ken,

	Comments below...

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Ken Stevens by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<bluewaterdiver-at-earthlink-dot-net>

> Is it possible??
>
> I was measuring the capability of a pair of MOT's I'm working into a
> PSU.
>
> With one MO Cap inline (.96uF, on one output side), I measured 2745 with
> the leads shorted out. It'll run like this for about 5 secs. before it
> pops a 15A breaker.

	I can pull 1.5 amps from my SMALLEST MOT, and 2.2 from my largest.
Depending on the amount of current limiting your xfmr has, 2.7 amps
seems reasonable.  I bet you can pull a nasty arc from this particular
xfmr ;-)).

> Am I getting dopey, or did I read that right? Is 2.7A possible? My sleep
> clouded brain work this out 115Vx15A=1725W, which seems ok, but I
> haven't read anything about amperage that high!

	Be careful when shorting these things, since they can heat up REALLY
fast.  Some MOTs are aluminum wound, so the wire size can be deceiving.
12AWG aluminum is equivalent to something like 16 or 18 AWG copper when
it comes to resistance (correct me if I'm wrong, please), so watch that
short circuit current!

> With that, is there a reason that I can't get more than 1/2" arcs with
> Greg's Twin MOT II PSU?? What's a "normal" spark length with this PSU? I
> can't get anymore out of it and all components check out OK!

	Make sure everything is hooked up right.  I've had this problem too,
and it always ends up being a reversed diode, or a phasing problem, or
something that I "knew" wasn't the problem ;-)).  Other than that, I'll
leave it to Greg.

Good luck,
Winston K.