RE: Non ballasting a pig?

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

All -

It should be noted that there are two important current limiting variables
that are involved when a large Tesla coil is operating and a ballast is not
used. One variable is the size and length of the wiring from your service to
the utility transformer. If this wiring is the typical #6 AWG and it is a
couple hundred feet to the utility transformer there could be considerable
current limiting at the Tesla coil location. The other variable is the
available short circuit capacity at the utility transformer. In the country
where the distances between transformers are great there is also a current
limiting in the distribution system.

All electric services have a certain current limiting effect especially when
you are drawing high currents. You could be living in an area where you
would not need a ballast for your TC if the utility transformer is a long
distance away and you have a feeble electric wiring service. If this isn't
the case you may have some bad service connections that can change in
current limiting value and create a big hazard to you.

John Couture