Re: Win tesla

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

> Some time ago I came to the conclusion that the 8.7kV/inch figure is
> based on a misunderstanding of how sparks propagate when running a
> TC. Given that TC sparklength has a breakrate dependency, I still
> think that conclusion is valid.

Breakdown voltages that are lower than the regular 30 kV/cm may
appear as a consequence of high temperatures in the gap terminals
or in the surrounding air, not counting changes in composition and
partial ionization of the air, or irregularities in the terminal
surfaces. If temperatures of 600 K are reached the
figure should fall to about 15 kV/cm just due to the temperature.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz