RE: Capacitors

Original poster: "Richard Wayne Wall by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>

John,

Your idea is very sound.  You could also put multiple tubes of different
radii together coaxially for greater capacitance.  Capacitive tuning really
comes into it's own in situations where there is no real inductive tuning
of the primary -- such as the OLTC where there is only a single primary
turn.  A ball park primary capacitance can be selected with MMCs then fine
tuned with your variable capacitor.

Air, and even better yet oil, dielectrics are self healing and make good
variable capacitors.  About five years ago I obtained a couple of large air
multi plate variable capacitors from old transmitters.  By changing the
spacers between the plates to thinner ones I increased the capacitance
significantly.  I then put the whole thing in oil which increased
capacitance even more.  It worked fine for tuning a small TC.  I believe I
posted on it to this list.

Keep up the original thoughts and let us know how it works out.

RWW