Re: Capacitors

Original poster: "sundog by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>

An adjustable tank cap isn't a new idea, but your idea of one is pretty
unique :)

  Instead of relying on that capacitor to provide the entire tank
capacitance, it would be better to use an MMC to get the majority of the
capacitance you need, then fine tune it with that capacitor.  That is how a
lot of VTTC'ers do it when they have the large variable caps at their
disposal.  Putting it under oil will make it self-healing (though it may
contaminate the oil if it flashes over badly).  You'll want to make real
sure your adjustment means is well insulated from the workings of the
capacitor.

   Give it a try, and see what you come up with :)

  Shad
Sundog G5-1203

At 01:25 PM 10/23/02, you wrote:
>Original poster: "J Dow by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><jdowphotography-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>

>John Richardson- all
>
>I like the idea of an adjustable cap. And others like it to.
>There have been a lot of attempts. I think it was the Geek's (geek group)
>that had the idea of a bucket cap with bottle caps in side and a changeable
>water level.
>
>I like your idea it sounds doable. But I think your problem is not
>dielectric strength, a good transformer oil or mineral oil will do. It's the
>cap surface area that will be a bitch to figure. If you think of the amount
>of surface area in a good-sized bottle cap or a large rolled (polyethylene
>and aluminum sheet) cap, it is a lot. Just to get up to the capacitance of a
>small Geek MMC, homemade's get big.
>
>But I think if you were to design a cap like the ones used to tune radios
>the kind you mentioned. Make it BIG and put it under oil it would work cool.
>
>Ambition is not a bad thing
>
>Read you later
>Josh

Shad (Sundog)
G-5 #1203
"Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?"