Re: MMC Caps

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Well really,

you have a bit more than 21kv peak.  The caps will take the voltage for a
while, but they will get warm from the current.  I used a single string of
similar CD caps (.22uf 1600v) with only one string.  But i only had a 12kv
transformer, and the string was of 15 caps for 24kv for a .0146uf cap.  They
would get a very slight warmth after a few minutes.  Im not sure how long
they will last, but they have been used for at least 10 or 12 minutes so
far.  I was getting 3 foot sparks with this coil, so the caps were working
good.  If you dont have the money, and you must have a MMC, then i would
just go ahead with what you want to do, but maybe keep that gap closed up a
bit more.  And watch for temperature on the caps.  If they get pretty warm,
they probably wont last too long.  Futhermore, for my large coil i use the
same caps, but with 16 in a string for 25.6kv, with 2 strings thats .0275 uf
for a 15/120 PSU.  They stay very cold, and i have been running the coil for
extended periods of time lately (about 1 minute per run, and about 6 runs
usually a night).

Your other CHEAP alternative is to make your own cap.  Im thinking i will
make a bucket cap someday.  These look very tough with a good capacitance.
And i need a good tough cap that i can subject to a lot of abuse for
whenever i have any crazy ideas.  Im sure you will figure something out, i
would go with the MMC caps that you are looking at.  I should also mention
that Richardson electronics has many CD caps.  I got the .22uf 1600v caps
for i think $2.93 each, so roughly the same cost for the same bank of caps
since you will need more.

Steve Ward.

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: MMC Caps
>Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 17:43:51 -0600
>
>Original poster: "Rob Judd by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><canska-at-a5-dot-com>
>
>I'm looking to build an MMC and The Geek Group caps look like a good deal
>me. The caps are Cornell Dubilier 942C20P15K, 0.150uF +-10%, 2kV each. See
>http://www.cornell-dubilier-dot-com/misc/h942.htm and
>http://www.cornell-dubilier-dot-com/film/9422000.htm for more details on the
>caps.
>
>I've got 3 NSTs, each 15kv 30ma. So for 15kv 90ma the resonant tank cap
>would be 0.0159uF. In theory, one string of 10 of these caps should do it.
>The actual capacitance would be .0150 and should take 10 caps * 2kv = 20kv
>max (assuming the DC volt rating is acceptable as the AC rating for tesla
>coil use). But the peak voltage of a 15kv RMS transformer should be
>something like 19kv. Is this pushing the caps to the limit? Is there any
>way
>to guestimate the life expectancy of a string of these caps used this way?
>
>I realize I could use longer strings to tolerate more voltage and add more
>strings until reaching the desired capacitance, and also reduce the current
>on each string. But I'm not rich, so if just one string of 10 will work for
>a reasonable lifetime, I'm inclined to go with that!
>
>Any help at all is appreciated!
>Rob Judd - rob-at-a5-dot-com - canska-at-a5-dot-com

Unlimited Internet access -- and 2 months free!  Try MSN.
http://resourcecenter.msn-dot-com/access/plans/2monthsfree.asp