Re: Win tesla

Hey Kurt,

Sure glad you caught that. Yes I am prone to trivial errors like this,
especially when I calc and type for an email. Also, thanks for making
the corresponding corrections to the volts per inch column.

I don't think the 8.7kv/inch value which was thrown out early on
includes this divide error. Honestly, I'm not quite sure how that value
is based. It may be an emperical value and probably is not based on any
particular electrode curvature, however, I honestly don't undestand how
that value is derived or why it would be a static value (unless just an
emperical average).

Thanks again Kurt,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "Kurt Schraner by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <k.schraner-at-datacomm.ch>

>Hi Bart,
>
>having a look at your little table, everything seemed easy, except the
>last column (=Volts per inch). Following this column of the table,
>bigger spheres would lead to lower breakdown voltage, which is contrary
>to experience. Then I discovered a really trivial error in your
>table-calculation, as can happen to everybody: in your calc's the 'Arc
>voltage' of the second last column, is MULTIPLIED by the corresponding
>'Total Gap Distance' instead of DIVIDED by it, as it should be. If
>corrected, your table looks like:
>
>(fixed width font)
>
>        Electrode   Electrode   Per Gap    Total Gap    Arc        Volts
>Case     Radius"     "Gaps"     Distance"  Distance"   Voltage    per inch
>----    ---------   ---------   --------   ---------   -------    --------
>  1       0.125         8         0.125       1.00      16,535      16,535
>  2       0.1875        8         0.05        0.40      16,578      41,444
>  3       0.25          8         0.04        0.32      16,495      51,548
>  4       0.5           8         0.033       0.26      16,751      64,426
>   0.5           8         0.033       0.26      16,751      64,426
>

>which seems more plausible. Might it happen, the 8.7kV/inch, leading to
>this thread, were a consequence of the above error as well?
>
>Tesla list wrote:
>

>>Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz