Re: BPS, J/bang, and spark length

Original poster: "Mike by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <megavolts61-at-yahoo-dot-com>

So as I try to eak every last inch out of a 120V wall
outlet, which optimization route is likely to be
"best"?

A) keep my exisiting 6.5 J/bang MMC and run it at
277BPS (=1.8kVA)
-or-
B) increase my MMC to 15J/bang and run it at 120BPS
(=1.8kVA)

Any ideas appreciated-
db

Daniel,
   This is only  my opinion, but I would say that if
you increase your primary cap size(option B), you will
have to use a smaller primary inductance, which will
lead to higher gap current/losses. Also, higher break
rates tend to keep the spark channel 'alive' and may
tend to allow the spark to 'grow' as you are running.
   The only thing I could really suggest is that you
experiment and report your findings to the group.
Perhaps adding a string to your MMC, then increasing
the break rate a little at a time and observe the
results.  If you note an improved output, then add
another string and repeat the process. You should be
able to form a curve based on this.  Your max break
rate will be a function of cap size and you should be
able to easily make a curve of spark length vs either
cap size or break rate.
Mike Hollingsworth