Re: Balancing an RSG rotor

Original poster: "John Richardson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jprich-at-up-dot-net>

Hi Aric,

My guess, considering that you have had your components spun on a lathe, is
this:

1)  IF you have your electrodes mounted, one or more is not spaced
correctly, either from a degree standpoint (Say four electrodes, not spaced
at exactly 90 degrees apart), or from a length standpoint.  That is to say
all are not equidistant from centerline of arbor, aka motor shaft.

2)  Does the motor vibrate w/o the disc?  If so, then the problem lies in
the fact that you don't have your armature flats spaced at even intervals,
i.e not even amount of degrees between each flat, or an equal amount of
material wasn't removed from each.  Keep in mind, though, that when the disc
is added, even if the disc is true, armature vibes may be more pronounced.

3)  If you are confident that armature, disc and electrodes are all O.K.,
this leaves the outside radius of your disc as the culprit.  Maybe have the
disc, with your pulley arbor attached, re-chucked in a lathe and check
runout on the outermost dia.

Good luck.
John Richardson