F A N T C !!! THE NEXT GENERATION TESLA COIL - ONLINE - PROGRAM (not a calcutor)

Hi ALL,

F A N T C is a NEW on-line program! It is quite unique!

I challenge everyone who has made measurements with their coils,
PROFESSIONAL and NOVICE alike, to throw your coils at FANTC and see how
well FANTC performs.

A brief history.

A little over a month ago, a coiler (Adam Minchey) used JavaTC. There was a
problem calculating Cself accurately with his particular coil. (JavaTC
needed to pull in Ces). Paul offered to write a script for Ces which I
could embed. To make a long story short, Paul added a few other tid-bits to
the pile. It didn't take long to figure out these functions deserved their
own front end. We decided it would be good to make this available as an
"on-line" program so that everyone could use it without platform
limitations. I offered to do the interfacing of the user-to-core functions.
So, back and forth we went. Paul writing core functions and myself writing
the interface. A couple weeks ago, the TSSP group took their first look at
FANTC. We learned there are a few browser quirks to deal with, but the
accuracy was quite amazing!!

Rather than try to define what FANTC is, let me give you some idea of what
it can do:

FANTC can!

* Find Fres, Ces, Cdc, Cee, Les, Ldc, Lee, Lm, K.
* Calculate the C of "multiple" spheres, toroids, discs, cylinders, and
coils, in free space, or in-situation of components.
* Change the voltage profiles for secondary analysis (loaded, bare, linear,
DC).
* Calculate self and mutual inductances (ACMI is embedded).
* Resolve helical, cone, inverted, non-inverted secondary's and primary's.
* Calculate distributed reactances, effective lumped reactances, and
resonant frequencies.
* Calculate voltage and current profiles.
* Generate a drawing of the system components and draw the voltage and
current profiles as graphs.

Well, you get the idea.

This is the FIRST RELEASE of this program to the Tesla Community. There
"will" be issues to deal with as this program matures. The first will be
browser issues. Because this program runs "online" and "extensive
iterations", it does take time to run . The browser used can make all the
difference in the world:

IE6 is the fastest browser - HIGHLY recommended.
IE4 and NS4 browsers run ok - but slower.
NS6 is NOT RECOMMENDED - very slow and quirky.
NS7 runs ok and is 2nd fastest in the battle of speed, however, it cannot
display the drawing applet.
Mozilla is NS (without the hype), therefore the same NS issues apply.
Opera, AOL, etc.. will likely have problems due to their poor java modules
(not tested, so I'm speculating here).

Most of the "newer" browsers will display a message on long runs asking if
the user would like to cancel the script. You must click NO or CANCEL to
let the run continue. Don't worry, your browser is not locked up, it's just
doing some "real" computing. This message is "normal".

Please READ READ READ the information pop-up links prior to using. Also,
there are "DEMOS". Run through a few demos to get a feel for how FANTC reacts.

Here's the URL:
http://www.classictesla-dot-com/fantc/fantc.html

JavaTC is currently being updated to include some of the functionality of
FANTC (I'm working on it). I hope other programs out there (WinTesla,
JHCTES, etc..) will be able to utilize FANTC as an enhancement to their
programs.

Please, if there are How-To questions, direct them off-line to me so we
don't clog up the Tesla List.

Take care,
Bart