Re: The Marx-like primary

Original poster: "K. C. Herrick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kchdlh-at-juno-dot-com>

Finn (copy: others)-

Thanks for your encouragement.  My next task--which I will likely
accomplish--will be to set up two gaps, of the exact kind I have in mind
for the finished assembly, and two capacitors, resonate the capacitors
from the mains, and then trigger those gaps into close to a short
circuit, every third half-cycle, for an extended period of time.  That
will tell me a) if the gaps will operate at all satisfactorily at the
relatively low voltage and b) if they will, then how long they will last
without requiring maintenance.  I'll keep everyone posted--and any
comments on what I have in mind will be appreciated.

As to your tube coil, I wish you success.  I do think that, for any tube-
or s.s.-coil, the best way to go is what I advocate: use the secondary
itself as the frequency-determining element.

Regards,

Ken Herrick