new cap, sucker gap :))

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Hi all,

I was tho guy who had all of that trouble awhile ago with the GE42l caps.  I
now have some CD caps(1600v .22uf).  Im using 1 string of 15 with a 12/60
PSU.  These caps are tough!  I also gave the Gary Lau sucker gap another
shot.  I had actually built it for my large 2000w coil, but i was testing it
on this coil.  This gap is grrrreat! Im gettin 36" sparks from my small
coil, and the safety never fires!  With my RQ gap i could only get about 32"
and the safety would fire.  But the sucker performs flawlessly.  I did try
it as a blower gap, but i had some problems with a power arc forming and
loosing lots of performance.  The sucker now uses a dimmer to control it, i
was amazed that it worked!  I have it set to about 70% for best arcs.

I also have a little interesting topic to bring up.  While using a breakout
point pointed at a un-grounded sphere, a good charge will be left on the
sphere after i turn off the coil!  I was thinking some kind of rectification
was going on?  The sphere is on a pair of buckets so its well away from
ground.  So what is going on here?  This seems to support the idea of DC in
the output of the coil.  I dont know too much about all of this so thats why
im interested.  Ive also had a metal lawn chair give me a really bad zap
after running my large coil, letting it arc to it.  I think the thick paint
gave it more capacitance? So whats the deal? is this anything new or just
old news?

Steve Ward.