Re: Wire-wound resistors as dummy test load

Original poster: "David Speck by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-davidspeckmd-dot-org>

Ed,
I think we are speaking different languages, but saying the same thing.

If the 4 resistors are in series, they will total 800 ohms.  Passing 1
amp through the string will dissipate a total of 800 watts, 200 watts in
each resistor, with a voltage drop of 200 volts across each resistor.
 Power (watts) = (I ^ 2) * R. = V * I

If the four resistors are in parallel, they will have a combined
resistance of 50 ohms.  Putting 200 volts at 4 amps across the parallel
set will still dissipate 200 watts in each resistor, or a total, again,
of 800 watts.

When you series resistors of differing wattages, the current of the
chain is determined by the power dissipation ability of the smallest
wattage rated resistor in the chain.  Whatever level of current makes
the maximum dissipation in the smallest rated resistor will be the
maximum current the chain can sustain without burning out the smallest
resistor.

Dave

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "Edward Wingate by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ewing7-at-rochester.rr-dot-com>