Re: Wire-wound resistors as dummy test load

Original poster: "sundog by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>

Hi All,

  A note on wire-wound, aluminum cased power resistors...

  I used some 3kohm, 25w power resistors an the grid-leak resistors in my
old dual 833A VTTC.  After about 1 minute of operation, the endcap blew out
explosively (ceramic shrapnel went everywhere), shooting across the garage
and shattering against the far wall.  The resistor itself was attached to
the coil's deck with small wood screws, so it stayed in place.

   Be wary of these resistors.  They don't seem to like having their
wattage rating exceeded, and complain very loudly by blowing and throwing
out shrapnel. I think I'll stick to ceramic core wirewound resistors from
now on :)

At 10:09 AM 10/3/02, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Richard W. by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><potluck-at-xmission-dot-com>
>
>List,
>
>Got it. :) This is interesting.
>I have 43 50 watt 50K Dale aluminum power resistors. 2 chains of 20 could
>theoritically handle 15Kv -at- 30ma for load testing. That calculates to 750
>volts at 30ma disspating 22.5 watts each.
>
>I'm a bit leary of trying it though.
>
>The following is vague but...
>I don't believe these are good for HV apllications. And I think they're
>rated for 600v anyway. I've heard the end caps can blow off.
>
>Rick W.

Shad (Sundog)
G-5 #1203
"Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?"