Re: Variac Troubles -Oops!

Original poster: "Joel Andersson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <andersson.joel-at-telia-dot-com>

> Good idea - I once tried to use the brush out of an old washing machine
> motor (good for 2kVA) but couldnt manage to mount it into the arm on the
> variac. How much were the brushes? I would imagine that they would be at
> least as expensive as variac brushes, maybee more, seeing as most
> alternators are rated at >60A!!
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Jason

The alternator brushes are only seeing the field current (a few Amps) not
the output current. What you want is starter brushes, a starter is a series
motor so the brushes will see all the current the motor draws (a few 100
Amps)

Joel