Re: Backwards primary?

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

I understood what the original post meant.  The backwards primary would
leave you with low coupling, which means less power to sparks.  You also
should not take the form out of the coil.  You will get all kinds of
insulation problems.  I had a coil on a VERY thin form and it would arc
alond the inside of the coil because there wasnt enough insulation.  But
keep in mind that i was stressing this coil insanely!  The coil was 2"
diameter 14" tall 28awg with a 12" diamter sphere!  I was getting about 30"
arcs from my 12/30 with 1/2 the shunts removed.  The sphere being rather
large had a very high breakdown voltage and eventually ruined my coil, so i
stick with toroids.  But back to the topic, leave the coil on its PVC, you
really wont loose too much spark unless you have some very bad pipe (like if
it was in water and you didnt dry it out).  To reduce the strikes to the
primary, make the toroid larger in diameter than the primary so it will arc
outward rather that down to the primary, and make the primary flat.

Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn-dot-com