Re: Noisy Gaps x2 RE: Halloween Coiling and the FCC

Original poster: "boris petkovic by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <petkovic7-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> > If most of the "noise" is coming from the gap, has
> anyone done any
> > significant looks into a Faraday cage, or metal
> enclosure, over the gap?
---
Gap produces noise in >100 Mhz range but total power
radiated (or far field EM wave energy per bang) is
really a miniscule with respect to a total TC power
used.
If you think that primary tank noise is dominant noise
you may be quite wrong.
When TC output arc continiously hits any grounded
circutory,object etc,the radiation noise increases
much above that of primary tank.
But even then total power radiated isn't comparable
with total output power.
Problem I see in a frequency range.Gap produces higher
noise freqs than secondary hard strikes and
interference with TV and other sensitive receivers

working in that range is something to be considered.
---

> > I'm just wondering if my situation really warrants
> caution from
> > radiated RF standpoint.  I run my coil outside
> often, and even with a
> > crummy RF ground, and no line filters, my mother
> reports only minor TV
> > interference (when the coil is in tune).  When out
> of tune, the TV
> > wasn't watchable :-0.

---
More energy dissipated in primary tank and more energy
dissipated in gap->more current zero crossings in
gap  ->more (re)fireings of primary arc->more short
waves produced=Mamma cannot watch TV.

Cheers,
Boris