Re: What is this?

Original poster: "David Speck by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-davidspeckmd-dot-org>

Adam,
This is most likely a HV DC voltage multiplier generator.  The column
seems to hold a string of diodes and caps.  Other than the toroid,
there's little that would be applicable to TC work, and you can buy a
lot of nice toroids for $1000!
Dave