RE: Minimum arc voltage of air was: Definitions of HighVoltage

Original poster: "Dave Hartwick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ddhartwick-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Any voltage level in a coil system that has the potential to arc to the
body, and/or requires special consideration for arcing across a non-zero
distance, I consider  high voltage.

Thus, on the 60 Hz side, 120/240 VAC is considered low voltage by the above
definition. On the coil output side--unless the power input is very low, it
is to be avoided at all costs and may be considered super high voltage.

Though  60 Hz 120/240 VAC service is considered high voltage, it is always
assumed to be deadly, especially 240 VAC service.

Finally, these are definitions from a stand point of safety. This is not to
say that I do not appreciate the exchanges endeavoring to formulate a more
formal definition based on long held conventions.

Look--if you've got a pole transformer, its output should be considered high
voltage and given maximum respect. ...We all know this, however.....
Dave H

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Hi All,

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<davep-at-quik-dot-com>
>         Finding the North report (reports?) would be a reasonable
>         starting point...
>
>         Full title, and et would help.

Your absolutely right. It's currently at Terry's website here:
http://www.hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/OtherPapers/NorthReport/

I was paraphrasing from section 7 "High Voltage Insulation".

Have fun!

Bart