RE: The Tabletop Tesla Coil Showdown

Original poster: "Mike Doyle by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mdoyle-at-CHERRYCORP-dot-com>

I have four(4) of the cat# 4020SE Franceformers specified in the subject
contest. These are brand new transformers in good condition with a 120 VAC/60Hz
primary. I am selling them for $20 plus shipping to anyone interested. Please
contact me off-list at <mailto:msdoyle-at-ameritech-dot-net>msdoyle-at-ameritech-dot-net

Michael Doyle - Senior Lab Technician
Cherry Electrical Products
11200 88th Ave, P.O. Box 581913
Pleasant Prairie, WI  53158-0913
Phone: (414) 942-6627
Fax: (414) 942-6334
EMAIL: <mdoyle-at-cherrycorp.htm>mdoyle-at-cherrycorp-dot-com
http://www.cherrycorp-dot-com/
-----Original Message-----  From:   Tesla list [SMTP:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]  Sent:
Sunday, October 06, 2002 7:48 PM  To:     tesla-at-pupman-dot-com  Subject:        RE:
The Tabletop Tesla Coil Showdown - OFFICIAL RULES and WEBSITE

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>

I think that trying to have everyone measure the operating power of a coil,
even just VA, particularly when using static gaps, will result in a lot of
wrong measurements.  Terry's standard fuse suggestion overcomes the problem
somewhat, but then the run time, off time, and fuse temperature becomes
critical.  I like NST secondary VA - Isc times Voc, as anyone with a
multimeter
can measure it.

Still reviewing public opinion, Gary Lau  MA, USA

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 10/4/02 10:37:20 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  > I'm leery of attempting to accurately gauge entries for true Watts.  I  >
assume the formula deals in true watts, not VA, right?

Gary,

Yes, I did write the formula for true Watts originally.  Folks often quote it
as VA though.  VA could be used  for the competition since it would simply hurt
one's  results if they had a poor PF.  One still wonders what  quality of
voltmeter or ammeter may wind up being used in some instances.

John