Re: Faraday cage

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Dwight.Crider-at-regulusgroup-dot-com>

I'm missing the point. ( To ground or not to ground, that is the question)
If the coil ground is bonded to the cage, reradiation from the ground
point(s) to the farthest parts of the cage would likely be minimized but
not totally contained. (Major impedance mismatch)  If the coil is floating
inside the cage, the capacitive effects would likely result in reradiation.
This would be a good project to quantify as to effects, frequencies, etc.
with a spectrum analyzer.  I have an old HP 7603/7L13 that still works up
to 1.8G, but I am not inclined to construct  a Faraday cage. I am in the
Birmingham, AL area and would love to check this out with anyone having a
cage. I recall during my intermod investigative days that a fully
enclosed(and grounded) and terminated 150w base station provided a
significant amount of external radiation.

Dwight Crider