How to make a slide choke ballast

Original poster: "Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>

Josh, list,

If you want to make a slide choke ballast. I've had good success with
the following:

1. Wrap a coupla hundred turns around some PVC or thinwalled
cardboard tube. Use the thickest wire you can afford that will fit in
the space and give enough turns. I used 6" diameter PVC, but 4" would
probably be a better compromise between efficiency and length of wire
needed.

2. Go to your local welding supply and ask for some regular arc
welding (steel) rods. Ask for some which are water damaged, or have
damaged packaging, etc. I got 50kg (100 pounds) for about $20. Get
the thinnest diameter possible.

3. Soak the rods in water overnight. This quite nicely loosens the
flux. For the best core density, you will need to remove the last bit
of flux, which is hair thin and sticks to the metal. This job was
made easier by simply placing a handful of rods in a bucket and
hitting them hard with a high pressure hose. This method is
recommended, even if you need to hire a water blaster. It takes a
long time to wipe several hundered rods by hand. The water blaster
will easily leave the rods shiny and bare.

4. Either coat the rods with an insulator and wrap them together in a
bundle, or better still, immerse them in a cylinder of epoxy (or
similar) to make a solid, efficient, noise free core.

5. Slide the core in and out of the PVC to vary the current.

Notes:

a) The bigger the core, the less it will heat up. It is also probably
more efficient. However, you will need more wire to get enough turns
on it which may produce too much unwanted resistance. As these cores
are open ended, saturation is almost impossible. You can probably get
away with a 3-4" core for ~10kVA. Make sure the rods are thin and
insulated!!! My 6" core shows absolutely NO SIGN of heating
whatsoever. A smaller core may heat up more and may melt the former
or core insulation however. If the rods are thin enough and well
insulated, eddy currents may be minimal enough to keep the core cool,
even on smaller cores. I don't know, as I haven't made one this small.

b) Efficiency can be improved by using silicon steel transformer
laminations rather than welding rods. However the core may need to be
bigger as you are unlikely to get as high a core density as you do
with welding rods. I'm currently using laminations in my core. I got
them for free at my local trnasformer winding shop.

c) The better efficiency in (b) above may not be desirable for tesla
coil use. Some loss in the inductor is good for filtering out peaks
and spikes.

Hope this info is useful,

Greg.