Re: Jefferson Magnetek transformer

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Kidd6488-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 10/8/02 8:00:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> The transformer I have is a 120V AC to 15000V 30mA 60hz 450 va transformer.
> It
> has to large electrodes (one on each side) surrounded by ceramic insulation.
> There are also two small electrodes with insulation on one side. There is
> also
> a screw on the other side that looks similar to a ground. I connect 120V AC
> power into the two smaller electrodes and I m only get 300V out of the large
> electrodes. Does anyone have any idea what I m doing wrong?
>

> Matt

I am curious how you went about measuring the HV Side. How did you approach
this?

The transformer may just be 'burnt up' with severe short or something. Measure
the current on the LV and HV side for us to help.

The LV measurement can be done by placing the Multimeter in series with the
transformer, or by using a clamp amp.

The HV measurement can be taken by simply probing from one HV lead to the
other. Be careful your fuse is good in the multimeter, and do not slip when
measuring! 15kV can jump a solid 1/3 inch!
Jonathon Reinhart
hot-streamer-dot-com/jonathon