RE: Helllp =) making my first coil

At 10:02 PM 10/8/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>I don't understand the different types of caps listed on the page
>(resonant cap, static gap LTR cap, and SRSG LTR Cap). What is the one I
>would use in my tesla coil?

Hi Matt,

"Resonant" cap sizes are on "old" value used to match a cap to an NST.  The
cap size resonated with the NSTs output inductance.  Problem is, it could
resonant to like 80,000 volts and blow stuff up "bad"!!  Now days, "I"
don't recommend using resonant sizes since the danger to the NST and caps
is so high.

LTR (Larger Than Resonant) is a size about pi/2 bigger that loads down the
NST enough so the voltage can not go high but still gets max power out from
it.  For a simple static (no moving parts gap) that is the size to use.

SRSG (Synchronous Rotary Spark Gaps) are fancy motor driven gaps that have
a modified motor designed to sync up to the AC line frequency.  Super nice
gaps that work very well but are fairly complex:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyCoils/BigCoil/Rgap.jpg

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyCoils/SmallCoil/small_gap1.jpg

Since these gaps have precise timing control, they can run cap sizes of pi
times the resonant size.  They actually "suck" the stored energy from the
NST stored as current in the secondary inductor to help charge the cap to
the maximum extent.  The most common high-tech systems out there...

http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/tesla.shtml

For now, you want the "static gap LTR" size.

Cheers,

	Terry