Re: "Cheating" was Re: The Tabletop Tesla Coil Showdown

Original poster: "Dave Larkin by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <teslaman15-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>twice the voltage and as
>long as the secondary "nameplate" voltage * measured short circuit current
><200VA I should be alright, right?

Well 'captain corona' you'll be alright, although if you feed it 200% of the
rated input voltage for any length of time I can't say the same for your
transformer, which will either melt down from the vastly increased losses in
the saturated core or flash over on the secondary side.

I for one would favour a contest based on a 200 VA limit on NST faceplate
ratings, no overvolting allowed.  Modifying the NSTs is IMHO unecessary, and
just introduces another area of uncertainty into the whole thing.

Dave Larkin