Re: solder vs crimp Re: MOT supply construction question

Original poster: "Crow Leader by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla-at-lists.symmetric-dot-net>

I have to agree with whoever stated that crimped connections on solid wire
are frequently poor and prone to failing. Crimping solid wire requires a
special tool (none of the bolt cutter/wire stripper/ crimpers made out of
blackened sheet metal can do it properly). Even with the proper dies many
are just poorly done. I've found poor solid wire crimps in computer UPSes,
and one brand of rackmount power strip (three of which caught on fire for
various reasons), and an entire lot of microwave oven diodes with the ring
and spade crimp on the leads. As for stranded connectors, the cheaper ones
have less strength and hold the wire less than say the "premium" ones such
as the PIDG series from AMP. Soldering a solid wire crimp sounds like a
really good idea, for stranded wire it's most likely not worth the effort
unless needed. Never solder a wire then crimp it though. Tinned and soldered
wires are bad for use in screw terminals as well. Solder has no compression
strength.

KEN