Re: Non ballasting a pig?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Kidd6488-at-aol-dot-com>

Gregg, All,

       With total respect possible, I think you may need to may need to study
some more before you go about building a pig-powered coil. I'm not sure of your
electrical / HV experience?
       Any HV transformer that is not current-limted ( a pig, potential
transformer, even a MOT) needs to have some sort of ballast. If you plug one of
them straight into the sockect, It will draw infinate amps, heat up wiring, and
make you prey the circuit breaker kicks.  Plus if someone were to be very
hap-hazard and not even use a switch (I hope no one would do that) The plug
could become welded into the outlet.
       I don't mean to insult you in any way, we just want everyone to be safe.
Pigs, and other HV devices can be extremely dangerous. One touch (not even a
touch, just get within an inch or so) can be enough. Bam. Your dead. Not a
second chance. No one wants that.

Saftey first (sorry Ted :-\  )

Jonathon Reinhart
kidd6488-at-aol-dot-com