Re: Outrageous Amps from MOT's??

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Ken Stevens by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<bluewaterdiver-at-earthlink-dot-net>
> Is it possible??
> I was measuring the capability of a pair of MOT's I'm working into a
> PSU.

	Nameplate rating?  Or other spec?

> With one MO Cap inline (.96uF, on one output side), I measured

>2745

	?
	0.274A?
	2.74A?

> with the leads shorted out. It'll run like this for about 5 secs.

> before it pops a 15A breaker.
 	Line side is over 15A, possibly lots (say 20-25?)

> If I re-configure and put 3 caps in line (.96uF on one side, and a 1uF
> and .86uf in series), I get a 742mA reading.

> Am I getting dopey, or did I read that right? Is 2.7A

> possible?

	Meter may be being fooled.
	If transformer is overloaded (first question(s)
	above)) Waveshape gets distorted, distorted
	waveshapes MAY be fooling meter.  (some meters are
	'true RMS', more or less regardless of waveshape.
	Some (most) are calibrated for sine waves, fooled
	on other shapes.)  Note use of 'may' thruout...

> My sleep clouded brain work this out 115Vx15A=1725W, which

> seems ok, but I haven't read anything about amperage that high!

> With that, is there a reason that I can't get more than 1/2" arcs with
> Greg's Twin MOT II PSU?? What's a "normal" spark length with this PSU? I
> can't get anymore out of it and all components check out OK!
	If exceeding rating, transformer will be OK short

	term, at risk long term, due to overheating, etc..

	best
	dwp

...the net of a million lies...
	Vernor Vinge