Fact Clairificaton - RE: Outrageous Amps from MOT's??

Original poster: "Ken Stevens by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bluewaterdiver-at-earthlink-dot-net>

I was rambling and tired when I wrote that, and after reading it again I
realized that I could have given a lot more info.

OK, meter is a Fluke 87 III. Was Top 'o de line True RMS meter. Voltage
readings were taken with a Fluke 80K-40 HV Voltage Probe.

Xformers - One is a Zebra. It's labeled TAN-100TT and gives me 2240v.
The second has no name at gives up 2142v.

The doubler has been checked out. I found one shorted (cond both ways)
diode, and repaired it. Otherwise all are OK and in the proper
direction. .001uf caps tested out fine. The tests were done after
repairs.

The arcs were measured by bringing the two leads together. Once it arc'd
I turned it off and checked the distance. It varied around 1/2" and
could be drawn out to about 3/4". They were solid arcs with a lot of
snap and snarl. They quickly burned all the coating off the bolt heads!!

On a static gap it would jump a gap of slightly under 1/2" without any
help. Any further had to be induced and would quench on its own.

The measurements were - 2745mA -at- 130v, one .96uF MO cap as ballast. 3
caps in line -at- 130v (.96uF on one side, and a 1uF and .86uf in series),
I got 742mA. Both of these measurements were only long enough to let the
meter settle, about 10 seconds. It started a lot higher, as the bar
graph spiked about 6A.

>From what I'm getting from various posts it's acting normally. I have to
say I'm used to NST arcs, and these just seemed short. The NST's pale in
ferocity though. The MOT's are supplying WAY more current!!!!

If I've missed any info just let me know and I'll get the measurement,
but it sounds like I'm right on track. I can't wait to get it on a
coil!!!

Thanks for the info and input.

Ken Stevens